Rural, Agri-Business & Irrigation
Agri-business continues to be the leading contributor to our country’s economy. We have a team of lawyers who know agribusiness and over the years we have formed strong ties within the Otago community. We strive to provide our clients with efficient and effective services to allow them to focus on running their farm or business.
We act for a broad range of local and international clients across the full spectrum of farming and throughout the supply chain, including family-owned farms, corporate investors, irrigation companies, agribusiness suppliers, farmworkers and rural families.
The rural sector is facing increasing regulations in respect of health and safety, employment, environmental and foreign ownership and we can help you navigate these issues and any other legal queries you may have in regard to running your farm.
At TODD & WALKER Law we can assist with advice on all of your personal and commercial legal needs. We can help you negotiate the often tricky areas of ownership structures and rural property, to ensure the best outcomes for your business and family for today and the future.
Our dedicated conveyancing and personal client team are well resourced to assist you with buying, selling (or other land transactions) and with any other relationship, trust or estate matter. We provide a tailored approach and endeavour to make processes are as simple as possible.
Our specialist advice we offer to the rural sector includes:
- Land transactions whether sales, purchases, leases, subdivisions, easements or covenants;
- Advice and implementation of governance and ownership structures including partnerships, companies, sole traders and joint ventures
- Shareholders’ agreements and related constitution documents;
- All aspects of contract law whether advising, drafting or enforcing;
- Advice on the most appropriate structures for the ownership of assets, machinery or livestock and operation of businesses;
- Funding and security arrangements between shareholders and external lenders;
- Foreign ownership and Overseas Investment Office approvals and issues;
- Resource management compliance, water rights and consents and environmental advice;
- Relationship property issues, farm divorces and separations - dealing sensitively with relationship breakups and the significant risks these can bring;
- Strategies for succession planning – helping clients face the challenges of future family and ownership needs;
- Employment advice, personal grievance resolution, employment of migrant farm workers, immigration matters;
- Health and safety.
Our Rural, Agri-Business and Irrigation Lawyers
Find out about the members of our Rural, Agri-Business and Irrigation team