Civil litigation involves disputes between individuals or companies. It can often relate to contracts and breaches of contractual obligations, however all manner of disputes can be subject to civil litigation.
There are a multitude of procedures available to deal with disputes which will depend on the circumstances of the dispute and the nature of the parties. Our experienced Litigation team can guide you to a negotiated settlement, or give you the support and expertise you need to bring or defend your claim in all Courts and Tribunals. We regularly appear in the High Court and Court of Appeal and are experts in negotiation, mediation and arbitration.
Our team recognise that the litigation process can sometimes prove to be a stressful experience for clients. We are dedicated to helping to ease this stress by providing a supportive and open approach for our clients, keeping you informed at every stage of proceedings and by exploring options for out-of-court settlement where possible.
Our expertise enables us to represent clients effectively in some of the following forums:
- Commercial and business disputes – including shareholder disputes, directors’ duties matters and professional negligence claims;
- Contractual disputes;
- Debt recovery – including issuing statutory demands and bankruptcy and liquidation proceedings;
- Insolvency matters;
- Trust and estate administration disputes;
- Property disputes – including disputes between vendors and purchasers, neighbour disputes and caveat matters, and applications under the Property Law Act;
- Insurance disputes;
- Consumer law and Fair Trading Act disputes;
- Construction disputes – including Construction Contracts Act matters and building defects claims;
- Judicial review and public or administrative law matters;
- Arbitration – including rent review disputes;
- Trans-Tasman proceedings; and
- Obtaining urgent relief – including injunctions and freezing orders.
Our Civil Litigation Lawyers
Find out about the members of our Civil Litigation team